The first day of the 2018 WTA Croatia Bol Open was full of interesting matches. The first round at the Bluesun Tennis Center was kicked-off by a Croat named Lea Boskovic. Currently ranked world no. 558, she is a young up and coming player who received a wild card into the tournament. She played the top ranked Montenegrin tennis player and world no. 115, Danka Kovinic. Although Boskovic provided solid resistance, Kovinic ultimately prevailed with a 6-3, 6-2 win.
"I had 3-1 but it went to 6-3 in the first set, I made a few mistakes and in key moments she took advantage of her opportunities and was better. I was a bit nervous as this is my first WTA Tournament, but the experience is phenomenal. I am very grateful for the invitation and I would like to return the next year,” said Boskovic, who has to complete high school finals before her next tournament.
One of the more interesting matches took place between world no. 77 from Slovakia, Anna-Karolina Schmiedlova and the young Ukrainian rising star, 15-year-old Marta Kostyuk. Schmiedlova won 7-5, 6-2, but Kostyuk showed an impressive repertoire of strokes and lost exclusively due to lack of experience and patience. She is mentored and managed by Ivan Ljubičić’ and his team.
"It's a big deal for me, and Ivan's advice means a lot to me. I enjoy it here in Bol, I'm sorry I did not make it through the tournament longer. I lacked some aspects of the game and I hope that I will correct it in the future,” said Kostyuk.
The great interest surrounded Italian Grand Slam champion Sara Errani’s match. In fact, Australian Naikhta Bains led Errani 3-2 in the first set, but then the five-time Roland Garros doubles champion picked up the pace and won 6-3, 6-0.
On Wednesday, a series of interesting matches awaits. Tena Lukas from Kastela, another young member of the Croatian Fed Cup team who received a wild card and no. three seed Ajla Tomljanović will take the courts. It will be a beautiful day to enjoy the matches at the Bluesun Tennis Center.
Day 1 Singles Results:
- Kovinic (MNE) d. L. Boskovic (CRO) 6-3, 6-2
- Bains (AUS) d. S. Errani (ITA) 3-6, 0-6
- Tomova (BUL) d. M. Barthel (GER) 4-6, 6-2, 7-5
- Kozlova (UKR) d. C. Zhao (CAN) 3-6, 1-6
- Golubic (SUI) d. B. Stefkova (CZE) 6-4, 7-6(0)
- Paolini (ITA) d. S. Soler-Espinosa (ESP) 5-7, 3-6
- Kostyuk (UKR) d. A. Schmiedlova (SVK) 5-7, 2-6
- Honcova (SVK) d. E. Ruse (ROU) 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
Day 1 Doubles Results:
- A. Komardina (RUS) / M. Minella (LUX) d. A. Fomina (RUS) / M. Irigoyen (ARG) 6-4, 6-4
- K. Christian (USA) / S. Sanramaria (USA) d. E. Laine (FIN) / A. Husaric (BIH) 6-2, 5-7, 10-6
- T. Zidansek (SLO) / T. Lukas (CRO) d. D. Kovinic (MNE) / V. Golubic (SUI) 6-0, 4-6, 10-6
- M. Duque-Mariño (COL) / Y. Wang (CHN) d. A. Kalinina (UKR) / M. Kostyuk (UKR) 6-4 7-6(3)